Dexamethasone is a synthetic corticosteroid exhibiting both anti-inflammatory and immuno- suppressant properties. Corticosteroids are hormones produced naturally by the adrenal glands which have many important functions on every organ system.
- As an anti-inflammatory medication. Dexamethasone relieves inflammation in various parts of the body. It is used specifically to decrease swelling (edema), associated with tumors of the spine and brain, and to treat eye inflammation.
- To treat or prevent allergic reactions.
- As treatment of certain kinds of autoimmune diseases, skin conditions, asthma and other lung conditions.
- As treatment for a variety of cancers, such as leukemia, lymphoma, and multiple myeloma.
- To treat nausea and vomiting associated with some chemotherapy drugs.
- Conditions of adrenal insufficiency (low production of needed steroids produced by the adrenal glands).