1. What Hepagurd® is and what it is used for?
Hepagurd® is a stable combination of two important endogenous Amino Acids, L-Ornithine and L-Aspartate. After administration, it quickly breaks down into L-Ornithine and L-Aspartate. L-Ornithine being a substrate of urea cycle, converts toxic ammonia into non-toxic urea which is eliminated via kidneys, helping the diseased liver to carry out its normal function smoothly (detoxification). The process lowers the elevated level of ammonia in blood (hyperammonaemia) which is a common problem in most of the liver diseases.
L-Aspartate is an essential component of citric acid cycle which liberates energy (ATP), and thus helps in regeneration of damaged liver cells.
- Acute Hepatitis (Viral, non-viral, drug induced)
- Chronic Hepatitis (with or without hyperammonaemia)
- Cirrhosis of Liver
- Fatty Liver with hyperammonaemia
- Hepatic Encephalopathy
- As an adjuvant therapy with all hepatotoxic drugs
2. How to take this medicine?
The content of 1-2 sachets is dissolved in a large amount of fluid (e.g. in a glass of water or juice) and is taken orally 3 times a day during or after meals.
Contact your doctor if you experience these side effects and they are severe or bothersome.
The most reported side effects are increased wt; depressed mood, sleep disorder, nervousness, loss of libido, altered mood; headache, migraine; nausea, abdominal pain or distension, flatulence, vomiting; acne; alopecia; back pain; breast discomfort, ovarian cyst, hot flush, uterine/vaginal bleeding including spotting; asthenic conditions, irritability etc.
3. Who should NOT take this medication?
Patients with severe renal insufficiency.
4. What special precautions for use?
Caution needed for pregnant and breastfeeding women.
5. What side effects are possible with this medication?
Uncommon: Nausea, vomiting, stomachache, flatulence and diarrhea.
6. How supplied and storage condition of Hepagurd®?
Hepagurd® Granules for Solution: Box containing 10 sachets of oral granules. Each sachet contains L-Ornithin-L-Aspartate INN 3g. Protect from light and store below 30°C.